Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Because I finally had a night home (and will be around for leftovers) I decided to try out a new recipe tonight. Whenever I go to P.F. Chang I LOVE to get their lettuce wraps (although I know that aren’t super great for me). So I decided to do a little searching to see if I could find some healthy wraps to try. I stumbled upon this recipe for lettuce wraps…and the good thing is 2 wraps are only 230 calories!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot (I’m not a fan of ginger, so I omitted this)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots (I didn’t want to shred my own, and the didn’t have them at the store, so I used broccoli slaw instead)
- 1/2 cup julienned green onions
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves (I used hearts of Romain because I couldn’t find other)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. In a large non-stick skillet cook chicken in 1 Tbsp. of oil for about 3 minutes; drain. Next, add the mushrooms and water chestnuts to the chicken mixture until chicken is completely cooked (about 4 minutes); drain.
2. In a small bowl combine vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir in the carrots (or broccoli slaw), onions and chicken mixture.
Spoon mixture onto lettuce leaves and top with almonds. A serving size is 2 wraps and this recipe will make 6 servings.
The flavors in these lettuce wraps are great…and I plan to have the leftovers throughout the rest of the week. I might even try the mixture over rice to mix things up some.