“Pin”spiration Week #5 State String Art
I’ve always thought string art is interesting. The designs created with simple nails and string are unique and fun. We’ve had one that has lived in our basement for as long as I can remember (I’m pretty sure it is sailboats) so when I saw THIS on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a shot!
Supplies you will need (I forgot to take a picture)
A piece of wood (whatever size you prefer)
Paint or stain
Map of state you wish to make (sized to fit the board)
Nails (and a hammer)
1. Paint or stain the board whatever color you wish. You can really use whatever kind of board you want – I found a cheap one at Wal-Mart, but feel free to use whatever you have around the house.
2. Tape your map on the board – on the map mark dots, evenly spaced, where you will put your nails. Also, choose where you want to put your heart. Because I’m made this for my sister, I put the heart over Manhattan. Most I’ve seen do it on the state capital, but you could do it over a hometown, college town, where you grew up, or where you live now.
3. Start hammering in the nails all the way around the map.
4. After you have completed all of the nails, remove the paper.
5. Start stringing the string around your nails. I was originally going to do the string radiating out from the heart like a sunburst patter, but because of the way Kansas is shaped and the placement of the heart, it didn’t turn out the way I wanted. I think if I would have put a few more nails in the heart it would have worked okay…so I took all the string off and decided to just do a random pattern. When I completed the string, I ended the piece by putting on a quote. Because it is for Sara and it is K-State related, I chose a line from the “KSU Alma Mater.”