The One With All the Resolutions
With each and every new year, I think it is good to take time to reflect on the past and look towards the future. To many, that means making some resolutions for the new year, and I must admit, I have a few things that I would like to improve on for the next year.
2013 is a year that has a sense of familiarity for me – and maybe that means it will be a good year for me as I hope it is for each and every one of you. Why does it have a sense of familiarity? Well, the house I grew up in is numbered 2013. When most people will be struggling to remember to put 2013 on their checks, I fear that I will end up putting my parents’ address on everything! To me, 2013 means home – and I face this new year with a air of optimism…maybe 2013 will by MY year.
So, without further ado, here are my goals for the new year:
1. Continue to strive to be healthier: Okay…yes…this is pretty much everyone’s goal. It has been my goal each year – and while I have maintained some of my weight loss from my “big loss” a few years ago, I am still not where I want to be. So, here I go again – striving to eat healthier, work out consistently, drink more water. and finally hit my goal weight for good. I am trying something new that I (of course) saw on pinterest…to help motivate me a little. Each workout I do and each pound I lose adds another dollar to the workout jar…and when I hit my first goal (of losing 20 pounds) I will get something fun for myself. Good news, it already has a dollar in it!!
2. Read, read, read: Those of you who know me well, know that I am an avid reader, so you may wonder why I put this as a resolution…and the answer is simple – I want to keep reading and learning more, so why not?! Each year I set a goal of how many books I want to read for the year (increasing the total from the last year). Well, this year’s total is 65 books. I really want to make sure that I take time to read (even for just a little bit) every day…and I think I am going to try to get a little cushion before the semester gets in full swing!! For those of you who are avid readers, consider joining www.goodreads.com an AWESOME site where you can keep track of books you’ve read, network with friends and see what they think about books, get recommendations on what to read next…it’s pretty much awesome!
3. MAKE the stuff I pin on Pinterest…I mean, seriously… Pinterest is amazing – there are so many interesting and fun projects, recipes and ideas on there that I have pinned (with a vengeance) but so many I haven’t made yet. So, my goal is to make a dent in the hundreds of pins I’ve pinned and add at least 30 more pins to my “I made that” board…project #1 is nearly finished…just need a bow to make it complete!
4. Grow my photography business: This last month I’ve finally decided to jump into the photography business. I’ve obviously take lots of pictures for the Gazette and school related activities (not to mention personally) but I was finally convinced to actually start a for real business – and haven’t done too shabby so far. I’m working to get a website up and going (besides a page on Facebook and continue to look for more jobs. It has been fun to get started and I can’t wait to see what else I can do with it.
5. Continue to take photos for personal enjoyment (and to get better): While I’ve tried the 365 day photo project in year’s past, I won’t be using this site for that anymore. I’ve decided to move that ambition to my iPhone – and think this will help me be more successful in that endeavor. I always have my phone with me and have a app that keeps track of the photo each day (called Collect…it’s pretty cool!). However, I still want to work with using my DSLRs to get better at artistic photography and will post some of my work on this site too.
6. Write EVERY DAY: I want to take time each day to write – something I haven’t done for awhile – and I will do that here. I think that if I’m going to teach digital journalism and the ever changing world of 21st Century media, I should probably participate in it myself!
So, that’s the list…I am excited to see what this year holds for me…and I can’t wait to share the journey with you! I hope everyone has had a great start to their 2013…let’s make it a year to remember!