“Soup”er Bowl Sunday – I couldn’t resist
With the National Weather Service predicting up to 7 inches of snow beginning Monday night, I figured today might be a good day to get some soup made. With it being the day of the big game, I figured I would try one that looked pretty simple too.
I found the original recipe on Pinterest and you can see it HERE. I love that it uses fresh veggies, but I was nervous to use some of these spices I’ve never used. This recipe serves 6.
Gather your ingredients:
- 1 can cream of healthy request cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup grated carrots (I used the matchstick – pre-cut ones)
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into bite size pieces (I used the bagged, chopped from Wal-Mart)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
First, combine the first 7 ingredients in your slow cooker – set to low.
Then, heat your oil in a medium-high skillet and add in your veggies. Heat until the veggies are softened (this took about 7 minutes for me)
Then add the veggies to your slow cooker, stir the ingredients together and cover. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Shortly before you are ready to serve, add in your cheese and stir so the cheese melts.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Overall, I liked the soup – although I think I will switch up the spices a little if I make it again. I think it was the Italian seasoning that I didn’t really like. It was my first time using Italian seasoning and Montreal steak seasoning. Maybe I’ll try blending some of my own spices together instead.